Sushi recipe for kids! This super simple and FUN recipe for Turkey “Sushi” rainbow rolls with creamy basil ranch dressing is a kid favorite in our house.
This is a guest blog post, brought to you by chef Allison Rinehart owner and founder of Lil Pinkies up.
Disclaimer: thatocmomlife is not making any guarantees or promises regarding the accuracy, reliability or completeness of the information presented. This blog contains my opinions and doesn’t reflect the opinions of any organizations I might be affiliated with. I was compensated for this post. This post also contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
These days it seems like everything in our house is rainbows, unicorns, and llamas! 🌈🦄😆
I know I’m not the only parent who is living through this trend, and I say, “embrace what the kids are into!” and channel their love of rainbows in my carefree and colorful, turkey “sushi” rainbow rolls with homemade ranch dressing.
These vibrant little beauties get their rainbow colors from my super simple “veggie sprinkles”. A trip to the salad bar at your local grocery store and a quick spin through your handy dandy food processor at home will create thin strips of colorful veggies I affectionately call “sprinkles”. ❤🧡💛💚💙💜
Depending on the time of year, the colors can get pretty creative! I love bringing a skeptical Small Fry over to a beautiful display of fresh veggies and ask them to pick out the colors they want to see in their turkey “sushi” rainbow roll. Sometimes, we just pick carrots 🥕 (and that’s OK!) other times, I end up with an odd smattering of olives, pickled peppers, and cheeses, but either way, if they think it looks good, they may consider it TASTES good, too. – Chef Allison
- 6 spinach tortillas (wrap/burrito size) or any other color of your choosing
- 810 oz whipped cream cheese (softened at room temp)
- 2 medium (1 large) green onion, thinly sliced
- 20 slices of deli turkey breast
- 1 cup monterey jack, or white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup veggie “sprinkles” (see recipe step below) of your choosing such as carrot, cauliflower,corn, watermelon radish, red cabbage, celery
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp cold water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp thinly-sliced scallion tops, and whites
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup fresh basil, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, minced (1/2 tbsp if using dry)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced (1 tbsp if using dry)
- ¼ tsp dried oregano (1/2 teaspoon if using fresh)
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Swing by the salad bar at your local grocery store, and let your Small Fries pick out any produce that looks colorful, such as corn, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, and radishes. You’ll want about 1 1/2 cups of shredded veggies for your wraps!
2. Using a box grater, or a food processor with the shredding blade, process each veggie into small shreds.
(sushi recipes for kids)
3. Finely slice the green onion(s).
4. Mix in with room temperature cream cheese.
5. Using a wooden spoon, or rubber spatula, spread a thin layer of scallion cream cheese on the entire tortilla.
Add 4 slices of turkey, and a long line of cheese in the middle of the tortilla
7. Add veggie “sprinkles” in thin lines, (keep an eye on your Small Fries sot they don’t overdo it with toppings!), leaving 1/4 of the bottom tortilla free of toppings so it can be used to seal the wrap.
8. Starting with the colorful veggie end (the purple cabbage side in the above photo) begin to roll towards the edge with just cream cheese. Seal, and send to the refrigerator to chill, seam side down, while you make the homemade ranch dressing.
Make the Creamy Basil Ranch Dressing
- Place all dressing ingredients into a food processor and blend until light green and smooth.
Transfer to a small bowl and let chill in the refrigerator till serving.
Cut 1/2 of each end off (save for snacking, or a chef’s bite before serving!) and slice each roll into 4 even pieces. Serve with creamy basil ranch dipping sauce and enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? TAG @LILPINKIESUP and @THATOCMOMLIFE ON INSTAGRAM AND HASHTAG IT #LILPINKIESUP FOR A FEATURE ON OUR STORIES
CALLING ALL LITTLE CHEFS
Aloha and welcome to the Big Island Hawaii! Today I am sharing two of my favorite waterfalls on the Island both of which are suitableRead More
written by: Gwen Payne Gwen Payne is a stay-at-home mom with an entrepreneurial spirit. Over the years, she has mastered raising her two daughters whileRead More